Friday, June 7, 2013

Dow, Da, and Dah

Is there anything cuter than the sound of a 22 month old jabbering away in her own language? I submit there is not. Elsie does everything on her own time table, nothing very quickly, including talking. She still has yet to look at me and call me mom. What almost 2 year old doesn't refer to their mom? She loves to say "Ma", definitely a favorite phrase, but I still don't think she is referring to me as much as just saying a syllable she knows. We taught her sign language for certain words and she uses those all the time, but speaking has never seem to be a priority until now. In the last week she has become quite the little chatter box! And I LOVE it! She jabbers and yaks all day if we are home alone. It really melts my heart! I made the comment today how I love being able to differentiate between the different sounds and words she makes. Here are some of our favorites. 
Elsie signing "Please"

Dow - Down. She uses this whenever she wants down from anywhere - counter, bed, dinner table, car seat, where ever. 

Da - Dad. When dad comes home she hollers this through the house. When dad leaves, she hollers. When dad gets in the shower, she hollers. She lovers her dad!

Dah - Dog. Sparky has always been Elsie's favorite toy. And luckily Sparky is wonderful with kids. So it is no surprise that she knows Dog. Yesterday Jeff went to help find the homes of some lost dogs we found in our neighborhood while returning from a shopping errand. Jeff had to carry Elsie in the house as she was quite concerned there were dogs roaming around. When she was inside she spent the next 20 minutes in the hallway yelling "DAH! DAH!" until Dad returned. 

Pho - Phone. Oh does Elsie love the iPhone! She will play on it hours everyday if we let her. Luckily we try and hide it so she doesn't remember it, but once she sees it, game over. She will say "Pho! Pho! PHO!" until we give in or she has a melt down. Hence the hiding. 

Ma - Mom? Maybe. She loves to holler Ma throughout the house at random times. Whenever she does I try and holler back "Elsie" to help teach her that Ma is me, but who knows if she actually gets that. 

Chez - Cheese. This girl could eat cheese all day everyday if we let her. It's her nighttime snack of choice, and I actually don't blame her one bit. 

Shez - Shoes. Elsie is a lot like her mom in the fact that she hates to walk barefoot. Frequently she will wake up and within 15 minutes she will holler "shez" and bring us her shoes to put on. 

Uh Oh - Uh Oh. Seriously her cutest phrase, and the best part she uses it appropriately! So cute!
Elsie signing "more"

Sign Language Words

More, Help, Thank you, Please, Apple, All done, Thirsty. She is at a point now where you show her a sign once and she remembers it and will use it all the time. 

I love how much this little girl soaks in on a daily basis. Everyday is a new adventure! I look forward to many more adventures, especially with another one to keep us on our toes!

1 comment:

  1. Yeah, kids are amazing. It's fun to have a newborn and a kid Elsie's age. I have fun memories of those days. They're so entertaining.

    My doctor said that word approximation counts for a word...that's a good thing, because sometimes I wonder just how long it's going to be for my kids to really pronounce a word correctly. Kids are so cute!

    ReplyDelete